Came across this article today that offer some valuable insight into the amorphous issue of marketing via social media.
Basically there are seven tips to staying on top of social media. Here are the summation of the 7 points:
1) Look for more content to be produced by “others”. This means look for the rise of the "professional" content creators masking as citizen journalists. There will be more fake reviews and articles to help maintain a company's reputation.
2) There will be more niches in social media.
3) Mobile you must. Mobile marketing will be THE social platform.
4) Social data will impact your future business engagements.
5) Engagement strategies will be different on every channel because of the data returned from #4.
6) Do damage control AHEAD of time. Mitigating loss of control in social media will continue to be underserved and undervalued.
7) Search will still rule, but social search will drive future customer engagement.
Here is a link to the full article http://www.onlinemarketingconnect.com/frame/index.php?url=http://directmarketingobservations.com/2010/10/15/7-tips-for-staying-on-top-of-the-social-wave/